Tuesday, April 5, 2016

March 30: Planning ain't free

March 30, 3pm
All the SNAP Challenge resources I read suggested planning the week's menu in advance. Normally this exercise takes a grand total of about 30 minutes/week for me - the time it takes me to go to the store a couple times and buy my staples. I've already spent two full hours on it this week and I'm not even done yet.

Being on a budget, I decide to look at store specials. Safeway has a promo on cheese, but Walmart's eggs are cheaper, and I don't have time to go to both. And what about Walgreen's? Grocery Outlet? By the time I decide on Walmart I realize I've spent 30 minutes looking at flyers. I wish there was a service that would let me put together the shopping cart I want and then tell me which store could sell it to me cheapest that week. 

I peruse Walmart's online grocery selection - which proves VERY useful because they publish price per ounce. I put together my cart and realize I qualify for free delivery - especially useful given I don't have a car, and can use that time to complete more work. I have to leave for a meeting but I'll schedule a delivery time when I'm finished.

5:30pm
Shoot. No delivery spots left for tomorrow. And the price of oatmeal went up. Double shoot.
Now I have to solve the procurement puzzle. I have no car. It's too far on my bike. I look up bus routes - 30 minutes each way? Who has that kind of time? 

I start appealing to friends: "Hey, any chance you're going grocery shopping tomorrow?" Repeated nos. I look into zipcar, which would cost a $70 annual membership and $7/hour. Ha! As if my budget would fit that. 

11pm
Finally a generous friend comes through and allows me to borrow his car, saving me the hour round trip bus tour. I've now spent three hours on the shopping list, and a full hour on the transportation quandry. That's 8x my normal time spent grocery shopping - which, at minimum wage, is $40 of lost opportunity for income. And I haven't even bought an ounce of food yet.

1 comment:

  1. So helpful to have you track this, Lisa. Yes, welcome to Real Life for poor people. I'm so glad to be reminded of the constraints that glib admonitions to "Get Nutrition!" blithely overlook.

    ReplyDelete